FEBRUARY 14, 2013
Oil Taxes and More!
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
Getting our fair share: Production before Reduction
A key issue this session is getting our fair share for our resources. This week, the Senate and House Democrats introduced a proposal to ensure new production before reduction. I am proud to be a sponsor of HB 111. This bill will strengthen our economy, ensure a fair return on our oil, and get more oil to the market. This bill will protect Alaska’s savings and won’t break the bank while doing it!
The three main targets of this bill are:
1. Encourage New Fields.
2. Help get new oil out of legacy (older) fields.
3. Advance non-tax ways to spark more oil production.
This bill is in the best interest of our state and strikes the right balance between the state’s interest and encouraging investment in Alaska.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this issue.
It takes a village to raise a child
Being a foster parent can make a huge difference in someone’s life. All across the state, families are taking in Alaskan children so they don’t end up in facilities. Please consider being a foster parent, learn more about it here.
A loss for our neighborhood
I want to recognize two neighbors that have recently passed away. In the past month we lost both Eva Girard and John Nevin.
I met Eva about 6 months ago while I was out knocking on doors, and she and I quickly became friends. I enjoyed visiting her and getting to know her. She had a colorful and exciting life. Eva worked for Elmendorf Hospital in the Insurance Department and retired after 26 years in 1996. Her memorial service was last week.
I knew John Nevin from the Airport Heights Community Council and appreciated his willingness to represent the Council at the meetings about the Merrill Field Airport Master Plan Update and Noise Study. Sometimes I would made zucchini bread or chocolate chip pumpkin bread for our meetings, and John always gushed about my baking. I thought it was great that John was still walking or riding his bike to our meetings. He was a dear friend to many in our community. He’ll be remembered for his kindness and eagerness to volunteer and help his community.
· Thursday, February 21– Airport Heights Community Council, 7 PM at Airport Heights Elementary School.
· Saturday, February 23 - Anchorage Caucus, 9:30 AM – 1 PM at the Assembly Chambers, Loussac Library. We will be taking public testimony and hearing from Anchorage Mayor Dan Sullivan, Special Assistant to the Centennial Commission Susan Duck, and Anchorage School Board President Jeannie Mackie. Please contact my office with any questions.
· Saturday, February 23 – Pizza Party! We, Senator Johnny Ellis and myself, are having a constituent pizza party at the Mountain View Boys & Girls Club.